Thursday, September 6, 2012

Blog Post #21

Dear People Whom I Love,

Today I got to jugar futbol (AKA da jeukbou) with the rest of the Missionaries in my Zone. All 20 of us met up at a park in Cheung Sha Wan and played 3 rounds of volleyball (there were 3 teams of 7 because a really cool member of the Church named Kenneth Fong came with us), then we played soccer. I loved it so much! If you're curious as to how soccer in a sauna would be, this is the place to experience it! I lose SO much water weight, and it's not uncommon for me to drink a gallon of water a day. That may sound excessive, but I still don't feel 100% hydrated at the end of the day, which means I always have water with my breakfast.

Speaking of breakfast, let me talk a little about my diet. I typically have a few pieces of fruit or maybe curry fish and potatoes for breakfast. I used to do noodles for breakfast, which is delicious but SUPER time consuming. Lunch is noodles, curry fish and potatoes (if I didn't have it for breakfast), but most often I'll have vegetable stir-fry. I can eat a TON of veggies for lunch and still be hungry for dinner! Dinner is either noodles, veggie stir-fry, or chicken. If we eat out it'll typically be for dinner, and cost less than 3 US Dollars. I like to get almond flavored tofu (which is delicious), grass jelly (think not-sweet-mint jello), and fresh fruit. Also, I'll randomly add rice to any meal; as one of my Apartment Leader things I do is ensure we always have rice in the fridge if anyone wants it (which is usually at every meal, here in China).

On rare occasion (once or twice every six weeks) I will get a #7 with fries and fanta from McDonalds. I've done that 4 times so far; and I think I may have eaten more Big Macs on my Mission so far than I did in my entire life before my Mission. Don't worry, I saw "Supersize Me", I'm keeping it real. There's also a million bubble tea places around, so I'll occasionally get mango and red bean smoothies with fat tapioca pearls in them. Bubble tea is even more rare than McD's, though.

But usually I eat fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains. That's what I want you to remember about my diet.

Anyways, the work of a Missionary is tiring, but infinitely more rewarding than it is tiring! We have people coming to us slowly but surely, and they are great! We are helping people who are interested in the Gospel experience the power of Jesus Christ's Atonement. We help those who have strayed from the Gospel remember the peace, comfort, and happiness that knowing their purpose and potential brings. We help those who are strong members of the Church strengthen their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and we help them know how they can share their joy and excitement with their friends, neighbors, and coworkers. We also work with many people who have just recently received Baptism to continue to grow closer to the Savior and understand His teachings better.

No matter what we do; we have one goal in mind; invite all people to come unto Christ. No one is perfect, so everyone can grow to understand and apply His teachings better, everyone can improve in some way, and everyone can share the peace and joy the Gospel brings with a few more people. That's why being a Missionary is great! I don't have to worry about school, my phone, my pet fish, my car, or anything else getting in the way of spreading the Good News of Jesus Christ! This is an amazing experience! All I do all day is try to make everyone around me happier! No matter what you do or don't believe, that's got to sound pretty amazing.

I love this work! I know I have been called by God to help others accept His Son's Gospel. I have never seen either of Them face to face as Joseph Smith has, but I see the hand of the Creator of Heaven and Earth all around me. I feel it in the world around me, see it in the miracles that people take for granted, and experience it every day! This knowledge did not come because I had some huge amazing experience, but because everyday my faith is built line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little. Conversion is not an event, it is a process. It may have a clear beginning, but it will never end.

I love you all. I know this work is true, and I invite all of you to pray and receive the answer that I have; that God has given us a modern-day prophet to lead, guide, and direct us to Life Eternal.

I write these things in the name of our Lord, Savior, and Elder Brother, Jesus Christ, Amen.

Love,
Elder O'Gara

No comments:

Post a Comment