Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Blog Post #23: 42 is the answer...


Every 42 days (6 weeks) every Missionary in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints may or may not move, except for those who are in their first 12 weeks, AKA Training.

I am not one of those that moved, but Elder Marrott was! My wonderful trainer, 馬長老 is off to the magical land of Sheung Shui, an area so northern that he can see Mainland in a couple places! I had a great time with him, and I know he's going to have a blast up there! He spent a few moves up there in the beginning of his mission.

My new companion is Elder Herrick from Orem, Utah! 何長老 has been doing International work for the past 4 moves (AKA my whole mission), so he is used to doing a lot of finding, which is what my area needs right now! He is a lot of fun, and hilarious from all accounts I've heard! I'm excited to spend the next while with him here in Tsim Sha Tsui!

On Sunday I baptized Cheung Wing Gin (Ben)! I did everything perfect the first time, but only because I practiced what I was supposed to say for like 5 hours last week! He is a great kid (14 years old), and I'm excited for him to become a strong part of the ward!

Exciting news from home as well; I have another nephew! My Hawai'ian Stepbrother and his wife just had their ninth baby! I haven't seen a picture of him yet, but I'm sure he's super cute.

My Sister, Number Five, just found out that she is pregnant with a boy! I was praying (no really, I was) for a niece, but I am going to love my other nephew a TON when I get home! I'm almost not dreading leaving HK just for the prospect of all the new people in my family!

This week has been good, a little crazy with the move, but good. I've been reading the Book of Mormon a ton, and one thing that really stood out was Alma 41:9-10. This is Alma talking to his son Corianton, who went chasing after a harlot named Isabel...

"9 And now behold, my son, do not risk one more offense against your God upon those points of doctrine, which ye have hitherto risked to commit sin.
10 Do not suppose, because it has been spoken concerning restoration, that ye shall be restored from sin to happiness. Behold, I say unto you, wickedness never was happiness."

As Missionaries, we keep ourselves to super high standards, and keep the Commandments to the letter. That's where the Spirit of the Law, or the Higher Law comes in. Everyone can improve, even those who are doing super well. The great thing about improving, or "repenting", is that it helps you become closer to Heavenly Father. The bad become good by turning away from their sins, and the good become better by chipping away at the last bits of unrighteousness that are holding them down. Of course, no one can attain perfection in this life, but trying to do so is a GREAT goal that will last your whole life!

I love you all, and I hope that you're praying for me as hard as I'm praying for you! I know that what I'm doing is bringing people closer to their Father in Heaven, and I'm so excited that I get to do it!

Love, Elder O'Gara

No comments:

Post a Comment