Monday, May 14, 2012

Blog Post #5 Over Analysis, Intestinal Paralysis, and a couple Chi Di Gin's


Today at 5 the older District of Cantonese Missionaries left for the field. It does NOT feel like I've been here for 6 weeks yet, and I have a hunch that the next 6 weeks will also fly past! I've been learning and teaching so much that life has honestly become a blur of learning, teaching, and more learning. Which is good; I'm learning a tough language and going to a tough place.
One of my friend's uncles told me that the best way to prepare was to decide now to be as Chinese as possible. I eat with chopsticks, I try to abruptly end conversations when I'm done talking, but I'm not afraid to hug people or show affection. Unfortunately, my guts got in on the act; and I'm now either lactose intolerant or MTC lactose intolerant. All the food here is like a bomb to the gut, but the cramping that I've experienced after icecream is uncalled for! At first I just thought it was the MTC, but after my District expelled me from the classroom for... "expelling" in the the classroom, I decided to humor them and go on a milk fast. Unfortunately; it worked. So now I don't eat anything delicious or yummy, and I'm beginning to see why #5 hated life after we found out she had kidney stones.
Once again I spilled liquid bluing on my clothes! I tossed it; I obviously did something horrible to that company when I wasn't paying attention, cuz the vengance it's taking out on me is harsh!
Last night for our movie we watched a talk by Elder Bednar about not going on a mission, but becoming a Missionary; and it was SO powerful! If any of you are getting ready to go on a mission, change your mindset right now to preparing to become a Missionary! Any LDS young person from 19-25 can go on a mission, but it takes time, dedication, a sincere love of the Gospel, and huge amounts of faith to be a Missionary. People who go on missions teach lessons and baptize people, but Missionaries help bring others closer to Christ. Of course, this doesn't mean that if someone doesn't have any success that they are wicked. That's one reason, but it's more likely that the Lord is teaching them a lesson they need to learn to become an even better Missionary! We have a Workshop every Tuesday, and I haven't been to one yet that didn't feature a clip by Elder Bednar. I hope he comes here before I leave, he is such a powerful speaker! He and Elder Holland are on my wishlist, along with President Monson, but I also keep my fingers crossed for the Prophet to be the Presiding Authority at Devotionals.
Anyways, I'd like to thank everyone who sent me letters last week and the week before! I had so much mail last week that I only got to reply to half of you, so the lower volume this week has facillitated my ability to respond! If you'd like to make me a super happy missionary; please send me DearElder.com messages, tell your family to send them to me, and have your friends send them to me, especially if I don't know your friends! Also, send DearElder messages to Elder David Groesbeck and Elder William Jackson at my same address; they don't get mail as regularly as the rest of us. They get mail, and packages, but mail is an easy way to make people happy!
I'm still alive, still happy, still learning tons, and still loving becoming a Missionary! I am so glad to have this opportunity to serve! It's crazy to think that I'm 1/16 of the way through my mission already! I've begun to refer to my planners as "tablespoons", and if I'm lucky my "cup" will "runneth o'er"! Hahaha, I love making baking jokes! Keep praying for me and sending me messages, I love you all, even those I haven't heard from yet. Do y'all really think 9 hours of classes 5 days a week is an excuse? I'm doing more than that, and I find time to write! But I still love you all, and I hope that you are excelling in your majors! Just remember to stay righteous and the Lord will guide you!
I know this is the Lord's true Church. What does that mean? It means that the precepts we teach are doctrine. What does that mean? That by obeying them you can find joy, happiness, peace, and improvement like nowhere else. How does that work? Because God is our loving Heavenly Father. He sent His Son to make up for our shortcomings so that we can choose to return to Him. He wants to bless you, but he has to play by his own rules (which say blessings are recieved in accordance to your faith and righteousness). Exercise your faith! Pray nightly for guidance and inspiration, and write it when you recieve it! God wants recognition for the help He gives you, so acknowledge him and He shall direct your paths! I love you, talk to y'all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment