Monday, October 28, 2013

Letter Home #81: Move and Monkeys

Dear People,

But didn't I just get a new companion?

I did, and we are still together, and we are still serving Tai Wai, but now we live in Ma On Shan. It's a nicer house, and only 6:24 farther each way and $3.5 each way, and I get to live with Elder Mohk's MTC companion; Elder Samoa, and his trainer, Elder... Smiles. Yeah, that about describes my new flatmates. I'm the only non-Utah guy in the place, which makes me feel special. I'm not sure why, I'm pretty much going home to Utah (except that southern Idaho has more potato farms).

And the other part? MONKEYS! I really can't get enough of monkeys, and now that I know that there are some so close to my chapel I might go finding there a lot! Not really; they live around an old (and abandoned, as we discovered) village and the nearby water treatment plant, so it's not a prime area for proselyting. They are super cute however, and this big male missing his right arm perched on top of a fence and glowered at us until we went away. I bet he's got an amazing life story.

ANYWAYS

Back to Missionary Work!

Yesterday the twins were Confirmed and Received the Gift of the Holy Ghost! I didn't perform the Ordinance (although I think I feel comfortable enough with my Chinese to try), but I did get to stand in the circle that laid our hands upon their heads. The Baptism was the little sister first, but the Confirmation was in proper age order... Not that anyone can really tell whom is whom. They gave me two little 3 inch tall statues; a clear snake and a blue duck, and said "Thank you, we're gifting this to you". I asked them who was represented by the snake and who was represented by the duck and they just looked at each other like twins do and said "Uh, neither? It's just a gift". Sometimes I read too deep into the meaning of things.

Earlier this week Mr Ping Pong Star got back from his tournament in Mainland (when I asked if he won first place he half scoffed half chuckled and said "Of Course!" in English) and passed his Baptismal Interview! His great uncle (grand uncle? I don't remember the English for it) will baptize him next week, which will be amazing! He's probably one of the funnest people I've met here in HK, and hopefully one of these days we'll get around to playing table tennis together. Is it a good sign that I can't find time to play games with my investigators?

The work is moving along nicely; it was pretty slow last week, but it's picked up now and is moving along quite well! We're still looking for more people to talk to every day; but I know they're out there, somewhere, looking for the Gospel. I just have to remind myself of what we say on the harder days;

Every time a Hong Kong Missionary hears "I'm Too Busy!", another person gets baptized down in South America.

It helps me sleep at night; knowing that someone out there is having outrageous amounts of success and baptisms.

Love,
Elder O'Gara

No comments:

Post a Comment