Sunday, August 11, 2013

Blog Post #70:

Dearly Beloved Brethren (and Sisters),

Before moves calls my good friend Elder G. Sin told me that I "had a good one", referring to my assignment. So, what is it?
I am now in Tai Wai as the District Leader. We have four companionships; Shatin 1 (Zone Leaders), Shatin 2, Tai Wai Sisters, and us. Let me draw you a little word picture map to illustrate the two crazy things about this move.

Here is the train stations, in North to South Order;
Lo Wo - Sheung Shui - Fanling - Tai Wo - Tai Po Market - University - Fo Tan - Shatin - Tai Wai - Kowloon Tong - Mong Kok East - Hung Hom
Now, any of you who are long time readers and write letters to me have realized that my entire Mission Life has centered around this rail line. The Mission Home is at Kowloon Tong, I used to serve the last two stops, then I served Tai Wo, Tai Po Market, and University in my second area, and now I'm serving Tai Wai. I'm really hoping that I finish up in Tai Wai (the Elder I replaced had been here for the last 10 months of his Mission, so my 8 remaining isn't unreasonable at all) and keep to the KCR line.

The other weird thing is the "Tolo Curse". If you start in the Tolo Harbor Zone (the northeast 30% of Hong Kong), you will definitely come back, and if you got to Tolo for your second area you'll probably leave and then return. Apparently, I've got the Tolo Curse so bad that it won't let me leave! That's no really issue; my first Sunday in Tai Wai Ward we had 2 convert baptisms and I did my first Baptismal interview (she passed!).

As a District Leader, it's my responsibility to ensure that everyone who's been taught in Tai Wai or Sha Tin is ready to be baptized on the day that they've chosen, and that all the new Missionaries have a language study plan, are sticking to it, and that their Chinese is moving right along and not stagnating. I also call people periodically to make sure they get along with their companion, that they are following the rules, and at the end of the week I get to chat with them on the phone and get a report of their numbers for the week so that the Mission President can ensure everyone is doing their best out here (which we are).

Being District Leader isn't a HUGE deal, but there's a decent amount of responsibility that goes with it that I'll have to get accustomed to and learn how to deal with. So far it's pretty easy; check up with people, give them ideas to help them become more like Jesus Christ, and plan District Meeting. Now, District Meeting is the hurdle that I'm running up on that I know how to get over it, but never had the practice to do so. I've been in good District Meetings and less good ones, so I'm guessing all I have to do is follow the example of my past leaders and I'll be fine!

Now, my Kompanion is probably the most exciting thing about Tai Wai! Why? Because he's Korean (hence the "K" in Companion)! His family owns a couple restaurants in Provo, and he's told me all about making Kim Chi and his time working in a Sushi place and his awesome life that involved lots of Korean culture in Utah! He has zero accent, but he can speak what sounds like good Korean to me (as if I know anything but "hello"), and he'll occasionally read the Book of Mormon in Korean before bedtime. He's really funny, LOVES Greek mythology (he's already taught me a lot), and it one of the all round best people I've ever met. I will call him Elder Healthy, because, well, he's healthy.

I am so excited to be in such an awesome area as Tai Wai! Some of my favorite HK people are here, including the parents of one of my Missionary Training Center teachers! I am anxiously waiting for her to come home and tell me that my Chinese has improved.

One last thing; because of some house shuffling; I'm living in Mong Kok for the time being. I am about 3 blocks from the house I was "born" in over a year ago, and it's REALLY nice to know where all the stores, restaurants, and email places are in the vicinity of my new home! Tons of deja vu, I love it!

I hope all of you are having a great time! Keep praying!

Love,
Elder JE O'Gara

No comments:

Post a Comment