Sunday, June 2, 2013

Blog Post #60: Velveeta Lobster

Dear Friends and Family,

This week one of our amazing investigators tried to convince us that Lobster is really cheap right now, and insisted on taking us out to eat at a super nice restaurant in Tai Po. I was pretty skeptical at first, but she was insistent, and I know she makes decent money, so we went along with it.

Turns out that A; She was saying "Dragon Shrimp", not "Old Shrimp", so they were prawns, not lobster (lung ha and low ha, respectively), and B; They were indeed on sale! For about $9 US I got a prawn split in half and smothered in sautéed mushrooms and super hot velveeta, and my companion got one covered in garlic and spring onion. There was also a ridiculous amount of noodles covered in velveeta involved, along with some kind of foot-long grouper that was steamed with lots of garlic and spring onion.

The fish here is amazing! It's very popular to just gut a fish and then steam it, leaving on the head and fins. They serve it to you on a big platter, with some aromatic vegetables and something very much like soy sauce. I've become a master at digging out fish cheeks from their scaly faces (the cheeks are the smoothest, most delicious part).

We also had a Dim Sum buffet for lunch that day, which made me look like a wimp when I couldn't eat our friend out of house and home. As it is, we have a dinner appointment scheduled tonight, tomorrow night, and the next night, all thanks to Elder Goo leaving home.

The Tai Po Ward is fairly confident that I'm moving on Thursday, and the last time this happened; I did. So, my next post will be the name of whatever place I live, I hope you are as excited to find out as I am!

Love,
Elder O'Gara

No comments:

Post a Comment