Sunday, March 31, 2013

Blog Post #51: Not about Hong Kong


Dear People,

This has been an eventful week back in the United States, and let me just talk about my feelings on this subject.

First, my beautiful sister (Number 3) got married! She and her husband were sealed for time and all eternity in the Seattle Washington Temple last week, and I am so happy for them! My joy comes from the fact that I know our Father's Plan of Happiness for us, that through the ordinances of the Temple our family relationships can last far beyond the deaths of our mortal bodies.

Second, my good friend (Brother Howell) passed away. He left behind a young family and many students who loved learning about the Gospel from him in Seminary. I express my deepest condolences for his family, but I still hold my head high. My consolation comes from the fact that I know our Father's Plan of Happiness for us, that through the ordinances of the Temple our family relationships can last far beyond the deaths of our mortal bodies.

The Temple is the glue that holds eternity together. It is the binding force that God has given us to help us have everlasting joy and peace, and Eternal Life. People going to the Temple and making promises with God is why I was born in this church, why I stuck with this religion once I left home, why I chose to serve this 2 year Mission, and it is why I am driven every day to do my best.

Everyone knows that we don't talk about the specifics of the Temple, and that is because the things we do there are sacred, they take much time and patience to begin to comprehend, and not everyone is ready for them. Everyone, though, is ready for the basic message;
The Holy Temple, the House of God, is the solution to all of your problems.

With the Eternal perspective one can gain from pondering the teaching of the Temple; all trials and hardships seem minuscule, and true joy and happiness are understood not just be temporary feelings elation, but feelings that can last for the rest of forever.

I know that Brother Howell is not truly gone, and that we will meet again because he and I have both made promises with God.



I know that my sister and her husband can be together forever because of the promise they made with God.

I love the Temple, and if I had one wish it would be to see everyone that I love making their way there, no matter how long the path, difficult the climb, or drastic the repercussions. I know that the Temple is what we claim it to be, that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is what we claim to be, and that Joseph Smith is what he said he was.

The Temple is the House of the Lord, we are His people, and Joseph Smith truly was the means by which Jesus Christ restored His Gospel.

I know that what I have written is true, and I write this testimony of its truthfulness in the name of Jesus Christ,

Amen.

Love,
Elder J.E. O'Gara

No comments:

Post a Comment