Sunday, April 7, 2013

Blog Post #52:One Year Older and Wiser Too


Dear People,

Happy Year Mark!

One year ago I was in a car with my Dad going to visit Number Five. On that trip we found out that not only does she know where the best Indian Curry place is on South Korea Way, but that she was pregnant! Now, her baby can sit up, he's got a cousin in Vegas that I BARELY got to meet before I flew out to Provo, and in a year or so I'm sure he'll have another cousin (that means you, Number Three), and Number One will also have plans for giving my Mom more grandbabies.

That wasn't such a long time ago, and I'm really hoping I can learn to slow down time so that the year in front of me doesn't go by as fast. Unfortunately, from what I hear you gain more and more momentum with every week, and before you know it you could have sworn just yesterday you had 6 more months, but you find yourself on a plane seeing the lights of your new home for the last time.

It's been a good year.

I had two goals for baptisms;

One was my realistic goal. I want to help one soul make it to the Kingdom of God. I want to have the joy spoken of in the scriptures that happens when you're standing in the presence of our Heavenly Father with someone you introduced to Him.


My other goal was to baptize all of Hong Kong (7,000,000) and get a good start on the city of ShenZhen (no, we do not send Missionaries to the Mainland).

I'm somewhere between the two numbers, but I'm hoping to get closer to 7-Digit baptisms in this next year. I'm not sure the human body is capable of such a feat, but why not try? I've only got one more year before I'm reduced to weekly fellowshipping with the Elders and buying them dinner.

I love Hong Kong! The e-mail rooms are SUPER strict about being silent while you are on the computers, and the guy next to me is doing an AWFUL job of covering up his racous laughter by clearing his throat and fake coughing. These people are so serious on the outside, but they're just like everybody else on the inside.

Take, for example, this song. It's possibly the most famous song ever produced by a band that's the most famous music group to come out of Hong Kong.
(INSERT VIDEO OF "你 by BEYOND")

I love my Mission! The culture here doesn't seem conducive to a Gospel-centered message at first, but as I've gotten deeper into it I've found that the same things are important to everyone.


Family

Happiness

Purpose

No matter where you're from, you care about these things! HK people care about their families more than anyone else. They may not know their ancestors' names, but they love them for giving them what they have today. Everyone here wants to be happy, but just like everywhere else, no one is exactly sure where to find it. Everyone here is so driven by what they want to end up as at the end of their life! Once these people really understand the Gospel they are dedicated to it!
This truly is the opportunity of a lifetime, and I am so happy that more people are having the opportunity to enjoy it! We've got 20 year old sisters running around now, and one of my roomates turned 19 in the Misisonary Training Center.

The Lord is hastening His work! The only problem is that Satan is also hastening his work. Thankfully, blessedly, I know which side I'm on, I have millions standing shoulder to shoulder with me, and we're doing our best to tell the whole world what we know to be true. I'm glad I'm where I am when I am here, because I know there are people that need to hear this good news in the way the I can tell it.


I have felt the Spirit of the Lord working through me to bring many of these people back to His fold, and I know that His power is real. If you haven't felt it, find a way to change that. There is nothing so amazing as feeling the infinite yet controlled fire of God burning inside you so that someone else can begin to see the things that are so clear once you have the Light necessary to find them.

I love you all, I love my family, and I love my work!


I write this testimony of this work in the name of Jesus Christ, my Savior,

Amen.


Love,
Elder JE O'Gara

No comments:

Post a Comment