Sunday, January 6, 2013

Blog Post #39: Not Really the New Year

Dear People,

I'm not going to say it, because it's still the 10th (Lunar) month. When all of China shuts down for a week, red (meaning Prosperity, not Communism) banners cover everything, and every flat surface is covered in cartoon snakes, THEN we'll talk about the New Year. 

Okay, so they do acknowledge it for business purposes, but if China didn't have to play by the rest of the world's rules to trade with them, we would probably use the Lunar Calendar exclusively.



Speaking of China...



Yup, that's it behind me! The tall-ish houses are still HK, but the really tall towers and the houses in the far back are all the Daaih Lohk! I'm a stone's throw from the one place every Chinese-Speaking Missionary wants to go, it's a pretty great feeling.

For the last day of December I went with many of my friends, including my buddy Elder WR Jackson from Wyoming, to the beach...




To have a BBQ!

I was too busy eating to take any pctures, sorry. It was delicious, though! We had lots of chicken, a little pork, a little beef, a pineapple, and some genius brought a durian. I forgot to take a picture of the durian, else I would put it on. I bought the smallest one and it still cost me $53, a quarter of my average weekly food budget! It's a good thing we're getting leftovers like CRAZY from all the people in our Ward, else I would be in trouble!

I really have been working, we've been able to talk to some amazing people, and we've got 4 people preparing themselves for Baptism! I pray for you all, many of you by name, and I hope you have a great week!

Love,
Elder O'Gara

No comments:

Post a Comment