Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Blog Post #41: Two Days Late...


And with only 2 dollars in my pocket!

Today is Wednesday in China, which may have some of you thinking, "Did Preparation Day change again?". No, well, only for this week. Our normal P-Day is on Mondays, but our Temples aren't open on Mondays because that day is set apart for families to be together. SO we changed our P-Day from Monday to today so that we could go to the Temple! Hooray!

We went at 9:00 and got out at about 11:15, and in the intervening 2 1/2 hours we went to Korean BBQ, because why not?

We paid $108 each, and 8 of us sat around a trio of 16 inch round grills and [feasted?] on [ate?] meat and veggies until we were stuffed. 

People tell me I don't include enough detail, so here's a blow-by-blow of the epic struggle.

Elder O' VS Food

Round 1
18 golf ball sized dough balls, covered in sesame seeds, deep fried, and then drowned in sweetened condensed milk
-Gone in an instant! I pounded them into oblivion until all that was left was a puddle of goop with sesame seeds floating in it.

Round 2
12 Baby Squid, soaked in chili sauce
-Although the hot chilies on the outside made me pace myself, a dozen calamari the size of my palm is hardly a challenge. I am, however, quite satisfied with how well I grilled them; I usually under cook fish and take one bite and have to throw it back onto the cooking surface.

Round 3
12 ounces of chopped mutton, soaked in Chinese BBQ sauce (soy sauce, sugar, more soy sauce)
-Didn't stand a chance! After tossing it around on the grill until it had gone from deep red to medium brown, I threw a little more soy sauce on top and ate it bite by bite, enjoying each mouthful of delicious fragrant sheep.

Round 4
4 coconut mochi balls, 6 sesame dough treats, some kind of fruit... gelatin?, a small order of fries, and a few deep fried wanton wrappers covered in honey
-I ended up eating on [one] coconut mochi and given [giving] the rest to Sister Clements (we went as a District), but everything else was amazing! Except for the fry sauce they had, it was just funky. But, at least they tried!

Round 5
A plate of watermelon and Dragonfruit
-No Comment Necessary

Round 6
A bowl (i.e. a pint) of French Vanilla and Chocolate Chunk ice cream. Not a pint each, but a pint total
-I had to slow down a bit, but overall I finished off the ice cream with little resistance. I did, however call it quits after this round, just to keep myself from gaining too many pounds.

There were also 2 glasses (a quart) of soymilk in there, but it was sickeningly sweet and I only drank that much because I thought it was the better, less sweet, less thick stuff they had last time. I was a bit disappointed in it.

Well, that was my Preparation Day!

 I have enough time to write an email to the President (Mission President), go home, do studies, and then hit the streets in a desperate attempt to burn off a few hundred of the few thousand calories I ate today.

I love you all, and I hope everybody is having a good time! 

If any of you have any suggestions for improving my Blog, by all means, share! I don't want to bore anyone!

Love,
Elder O'Gara


[Editorial notes are in brackets [  ] . He is losing his spelling/grammar more and more.  I have been correcting it but have decided that perhaps his readers deserve to read what I, his compulsive spell/grammar checking mother, read. That would be the untouched email I receive ~ with my 'improvements' in brackets.]     [kvk]

No comments:

Post a Comment