Thursday, July 26, 2012

Blog Post #15: Brought to You by the Letter T and the Number 8



Dear People,

On Tuesday we had a typhoon signal eight. What does that mean?



According to Hong Kong Observatory:

"Gale or storm force wind is expected or blowing generally in Hong Kong near sea level, with a sustained wind speed of 63-117 km/h from the quarter indicated ( 8NE, 8NW, 8SE or 8SW)  and gusts which may exceed 180 km/h, and the wind condition is expected to persist.

Action – Complete all precautions now before gales commence. Lock all windows and doors. Fit bars into positions and insert reinforced shutters and gates if available. Adhesive tape fixed to large window panes in exposed positions will reduce damage by broken glass.

Do not stand near windows on the exposed side of your home. Move all furniture and valuables away from these areas. Make sure you have a safe place to shelter, should windows be broken. Now is the time to decide which rooms you will use to shelter if the windows on the exposed side of your home become broken.

Owners of neon signs should arrange for the electricity supply to their signs to be switched off.

Park your car where it is least likely to be damaged.

Avoid staying in the street. Return home as soon as possible if conditions so permit."


So yeah, we had a little hurricane come through! Exciting! It was fun, we got to stay in and clean the OK and make calls... and that was it. I didn't get my letters out, so my mother will probably kill me...

Today I wanted to go on a $1000 dollar shopping spree, but I don't know how... I bought 3 pairs of gangsta shorts for $100, 2 polos (purple and orange) for $100, a tie/ pocketsquare/cufflinks set for $75, and BANG! in Chinese for $25. I also bought 2 pairs of $160 dollar pants, so that adds us to... $600. Yeah, I fell short of my goal. That's HK$, divide everything by 8 and you'll get an idea of the prices here. If you want to aid me in putting clothing on my body (I don't plan on any more games), you can send a check to my mother or father. For the amount of shipping a package here you can feed me for a week! Rachael Ray thinks she's hot stuff with her $30/Day, but I can make you home cooked meals (having meat multiple times a day) for a WEEK with that much American cash! My desire for real deodorant still stands, just the plain original is best. Axe is called Lynx here because Axe is a brand of lemon-ginger dishsoap.

I want to take a moment to recognize two of my most favorite people! Valorie (formerly Gatewood) Lafaele got married recently, way to Choose The Right! Not only getting married in the temple, but marrying what various reports call "a good lookin' guy"! I also want to give a thumbs up to my friend Madi Hurtt for standing up for what she believes in! It's not easy to stand out in middle school, but I hear she did an amazing job of being an example of the believers!

That's about all I have time for, I hope everyone is doing great! I promise to send a postcard to everyone that sends me a letter (that means check your mailbox in 7-12 days, Davin)! Family gets letters back 'cuz they might hurt me if I only send a card! Anyways, I love y'all, I love spreading the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ to the wonderful people of Hong Kong, and I know that, if you truly desire to know, our Heavenly Father will give you the knowledge that what I am doing is His will, that He loves you, that He lives, and that this is His Gospel. I don't want anyone, anytime, anywhere to ever believe me when I say that, I want you to study, not just to read but study the Book of Mormon, ask God if it's true, and act on the knowledge He gives you.

I know that it's true. I've prayed for myself to have this knowledge. Giving up my job, my friends, my house, my dog, my family, my car, the ability to wear my kilt, watching "Everyday Italian", going swimming in the Pacific, and everything else that I choose not to do right now isn't really even a sacrifice on my part. We have a Prophet to give us the general direction we need, to go on a Mission, etc. We have Personal revelation for the more specific direction, how to serve said Mission, and everything associated with that. We have the Holy Bible, The Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price to give us examples of people who have chosen to follow God, and examples of those who turned their backs on Him. I choose to be in the first group, of those who not only see His power, but embrace it and pray for the strength to righteously use a portion of it.

Just be humble and have a chat with the Missionaries! All they want to do is give you the chance to accept or reject the message, that's really all we want; to give every man, woman, and child that chance. PLEASE accept their invitations to look into this Church, that's all I'm asking. I love y'all, have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment