Sunday, December 29, 2013

Letter Home #90: What's This? What's This! There's something in the Air!

Dear People,

Last week after email we went to Muji (think Japanese Minimalist IKEA focused more on Stationery) to grab some supplies & winter clothes. I didn't need anything, and Elder Mak had already paid so we were standing near each other casually looking at the toiletries when he tapped me on the shoulder.

"Elder O'Gara" he said "What's this?"

"A Razor, for one time or two times use" I replied.

"But" he said, pointing to the label "For Woo-Man?".

I started at him blankly, and then laughed louder than one ought to in a crowded public place on Festivus (which I am TOTALLY celebrating when I grow up!). See, Elder Mak has no sisters, and Asians don't have much hair anyways (you can tell most girls here don't shave their legs because they'll have three or four hairs about one shade darker than their skin on their shins), so he had NO clue what was going on. I explained to him about racial differences and he mostly got it after that.

BUT ANYWAYS!

Lots of people asked in emails about my Christmas, so here it is!

Monday - Festivus! We had the eating of Chinese food, but only a half-hearted feat of strength and no airing of grievances. New holidays just get no love. Maybe next year will be better. We also had the Zone Activity in which we snacked, played games, and watched the slideshow the Office Elders put together.

Wednesday - Stake Activity! The 6 congregations in the western New Territories got together for a 7 hour activity that was AWESOME! We played games, pulled people off the streets into the activity, taught mini-lessons all over the place, got free dinner (BBQ pork and Soy Chicken on rice, of course!), and listened to a really good Choir (Song of the Heart Singers).

Thursday - We had our Ward BBQ and Hike in which we spent the day making sure all of the people we've been teaching the Gospel to are getting integrated and accepted into the Yuen Long 1 congregation. It was lots of fun, and here's a bit of Chinese Culture for you, with Chicken Wings to give some perspective!



Yeah, Baby Pigeons are delicious, if not the most horrible thing I've ever eaten. Totally beats out shark fin soup. Yes, I've had both (Shark Fin Soup was an accident, and not as immediately terrible, but does have higher elements of fridge horror).



Saturday - We couldn't celebrate my Birthday on my Birthday, so we went to Gin Curry after English Class. I prefer Thai Curry, but Japanese is still good!
Elder Wong and I split the Mt. Fuji 1.5 Kilo monster meal! It was pathetic; I could pound one by myself and then go for icecream. Tasty, but not scary. Our friend had told us she'd not been able to finish it with 4 other girls. 2 Missionaries > 5 Teenage Girls, take note. The best part was, after that we had to run back to the Church, and I got to do something I've been DYING to do for ages!

I rode Elder Wong's bike home! It was the best day of my LIFE!



Sunday - YEAH! My Birthday! I had been awake for 3 hours before anyone said it (I like to see how long it takes people to remember), and had a good time at Church. I taught A 17-year-old kid how to tie a Bow Tie after the meeting, it was lots of fun. That night we took a couple of our friends to a musical Fireside in Wan Chai in which 2 Piano Performance Majors from BYU improved new arrangements for 15 Christmas carols. It was glorious. 

Today - Preparation Day and Pay Day! Does it get better than that? Of course it does; I get to do Missionary Work tonight!

Who's with me?

Love,
Elder JE O'Gara

No comments:

Post a Comment