Sunday, December 22, 2013

Letter Home #89: An Infamous Miracle

Dear People,

My En-Ga-Lish is very poor-laaaa!

But really, I'm losing words like made. The other day my comp and I were mocking a new advertising scheme, and I said that when Chinese people try too hard to be creative something "terribly wonderful... Awfully amazing...An Infamous Miracle?..." happens.

An Infamous Miracle?

I can't figure it out, and neither can he, but we're working on it.

ANYWAYS

We've been meeting regularly with two gentlemen, Mr Chu and Mr L. Mr L has been kind of "meh" about keeping commitments, and then last night our lesson fell flat on its face in the first 35 seconds or so after the opening prayer (which is when we ran out to grab another copy of the pamphlet he was supposed to read to prep him for our lesson). HOWEVER, because Heavenly Father loves Mr L and wants him to be Baptized, He helped us piece everything back together so that we could help Mr L have a desire to come to keep his commitments! He still didn't agree to come to Church, but he's getting closer to accepting a challenge!

Apparently today is Festivus... My comp's family loves Seinfeld, and so we're going to eat Chinese food (which is easily done), have a Feat of Strength (which I can do), and then an Airing of Grievances (I'm scared of that one). I'm not sure what's expected to happen, so I'm hesitant...

Pray for me.

But really, focus your prayers on the people in the Phillipines that are still sad, hungry, and cold (does it get cold in the Philipines?).

I'm loving the New Territories, especially because it's semi-abandoned; most of the people here are literally insane (our local asylum is ACTUALLY overflowing with inmates), or they're really really really interested in the Gospel. sometimes the crazy people are interested, which causes problems. But it's nothing I can't handle, for I can do all things in Christ, which strengthens me!

Love,
Elder J.E. O'Gara

No comments:

Post a Comment